Since the discovery of the gay gene in 2029, Iran is close to becoming the first country where no-one gives birth to a gay child.
Pre-natal tests were introduced in early 2030, and the vast majority who receive a positive test have terminated their pregnancy. Iran previously had strict abortion laws due to religious reasons, but it is now permitted in cases of homosexuality also due to religious reasons.
While the tests are optional, all expectant mothers are informed about their availability, and up to 95 percent choose to take it. The remaining 5 percent just sort of disappear somewhere.
The test determines whether the foetus will have a certain gene which results in homosexuality. According to PinkNews, children born with this orientation behave differently to other children by striking fabulous poses when excited and by adhering to other generalisations and stereotypes.
Many people born homosexual can live full, healthy lives, with an average lifespan of between 60 years and 140 years, depending on whether you read academic studies or BuzzFeed.
On average, just one or two gay children are born in Iran each year. Sometimes, this is as a result of an inaccurate test.
“Gay babies are still being born in Iran,” said Hekmat Al Muderis, head of the Prenatal Diagnosis Unit at Milad Hospital, Iran.
“Some of the foetuses were ‘straight acting’ in our screening test, so we didn’t detect them. However, we take a lot of inspiration from how Iceland entirely eradicated Down syndrome, so we’re determined to get them all.”
Annhammed Al Furedi counsels women who are considering ending their pregnancy over a homosexual diagnosis.
She says she tells mothers: “This is your life. You have the right to choose how your life will look like. If you don’t like gay babies, don’t have one.”
She told a reporter: “We don’t look at abortion as a murder. We look at it as removing a clump of cells. A clump of cells with a sexual orientation, but a clump of cells nonetheless.
“We ended a possible life that may have had many complications … preventing suffering for the child being born into a society that won’t accept them, leading to poverty and mental health issues, and a disproportionate rate of STDs. I think that is more right and humane than seeing it as a murder – murder is so black and white.
“Life isn’t black and white. Life is grey.”
Other countries aren’t lagging too far behind Iraq in gay termination rates. According to the most recent data available, Yemen has an estimated termination rate for homosexuality of 83 percent; in Nigeria, it’s 86 percent; and in Northern Ireland, the world’s second most homophobic country after Iran, it’s 92 percent.
The archaic and backward law of 1861 that previously governed Northern Ireland would have prevented the termination of gay babies, but since the extension of the 1967 Abortion Act in 2019, abortion is now permitted for any old reason – and homosexuality is included in this category.